Makes about 46 stuffed dates
These are beautiful treats. They freeze well and are delicious just slightly thawed. You can get creative with the decorations, but nuts work especially well.
2 pounds (908 g) or about 46 large, soft, Medjool dates
2 cups (500 ml) dates, packed
1/2 cup (125 ml) boiling water
1/2 cup (125 ml) nut butter (organic peanut butter, hazelnut, cashew, almond or other nut butter)
1/4 cup (60 ml) cocoa or carob powder
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
1/4-1/2 tsp salt (optional)
Nuts for decoration (3 hazelnuts or almonds, 1 cashew, or 1 pecan or walnut half per date)
- Place dates in a glass bowl or measuring cup. Pour boiling water over the dates and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Put dates and water into a food processor. Add nut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt (if using). Process until very smooth.
- Put filling in a bowl, cover and place in the freezer for a few hours or until firm and easy to work with (can also be put in the refrigerator overnight).
- Slice Medjool dates lengthwise and remove pit, so that each date fans open and can be fille
- Stuff dates with filling (2-3 teaspoons per date). Press nuts on the top of filling to decorate
- Refrigerate or freeze until serving. If freezing, remove the dates a few minutes before serving to soften slightly.