Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat Cereal
Makes 4-6 generous servings
This breakfast cereal is a raw, gluten-free breakfast that sticks to your ribs.
2 cups (500 ml) raw buckwheat, soaked and sprouted (see note)
1/4 cup (60 ml) sunflower seeds, soaked 4 to 6 hours, rinsed, and drained
1/4 cup (60 ml) pumpkin seeds, soaked 4 to 6 hours, rinsed, and drained
1/4 cup (60 ml) hempseeds
1 teaspoon (5 ml) cinnamon
2 apples, coarsely chopped
1 cup (250 ml) non-dairy milk
2 Tbsp (30 ml) chia seeds or ground flax seeds
1/3 cup (85 ml) raisins, chopped prunes or other dried fruit
- In a food processor, coarsely chop the seeds (excluding the chia or flax).
- Add the buckwheat, apples non-dairy milk and cinammon, and pulse until apples are chopped finely.
- Add the dried fruit and pulse to distribute throughout the cereal.
- To serve, sprinkle with chia or ground flaxseeds.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Note: To sprout raw buckwheat, soak in water to cover for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse well. You will notice that the water gets very thick and pinkish so rinse until the water is fairly clear. Put the buckwheat in a colander over a plate, to catch any water. Sprout for 12 to 24 hours, rinsing every 12 hours.
1. Replace apples with other fruit.
2. Add other spices such as freshly grated nutmeg.
3. Replace some of the seeds with walnuts or almonds.
4. Replace the buckwheat with soaked oat groats (soak for at least 24 hours).
5. Sprinkle some granola on top for crunch.