Cashew Red Pepper "Cheese" Sauce
This sauce is the perfect substitute for traditional cheese sauce. It is fabulous on broccoli or cauliflower, potatoes, pizza, lasagna, scrambled tofu, sandwiches, tacos, nachos or anything else you love cheese sauce with. I originally acquired the recipe from my dear friend, Margie Colclough and made just a few small adjustments.
2 cups (500 ml) water
1 cup (250 ml) raw cashews, soaked for about 2 hours*
1 red pepper, raw or roasted, coarsely chopped
3 Tbsp (45 ml) corn starch (or other starch)
3 Tbsp (45 ml) nutritional yeast (Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula)
2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and process on high speed until very smooth and creamy.
2. Pour into a medium-sized saucepan and cook until thickened.
3. Return to blender and process again on high speed (this step is not absolutely necessary but does produce a much creamier sauce). Serve hot or store in the refrigerator for later use. Great hot or cold.
1. Add fresh garlic (1 clove, minced) or garlic powder (1/4 tsp/1 ml) , onion powder (1/2 tsp/2 ml) or herbs as desired (jalapeno peppers, dill, basil, oregano, parsley, etc.)
2. Add 1/2 tsp (2 ml) turmeric and fresh ground black pepper.